Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

I've got the fever (II)

Regular readers (if there are any) will wonder if I have a lot of disposable income, a high tolerance for debt or a sugar daddy as this is my second "feverish" post on the blog. Must be the first as I definitely don't have the 2nd or 3rd. My object of desire at the moment is a new PDA. If/when I make a purchase, it will be my 3rd such device. I had my lovely Palm IIIxe for a few years before losing it to the floor of my local Kroger. (Note: PDA's don't bounce, they crack and break in very ugly non-data-recoverable ways. Backups? Uh, yeah, I hear those are good.) I then tried the Pocket PC Dell Axim that I bought from J. I hate to say it, but I've never really "bonded" with this device. It's fine, I suppose for what it is, but when I had the IIIxe, it went everywhere. The Axim usually goes to the grocery store and a couple of other places, but it's not the "must take" item that a PDA should be.
Which brings me to....the Palm LifeDrive. Maybe. The TX is getting slightly better reviews and with a 2GB SD card, has almost as much capacity for a bit less money. I'm going to see if I can stand to wait a month or so to see if Palm releases anything interesting. Seems to be a bit of speculation that they might. Would also like to see a few more positive reviews of the LD before I go plop down a car payment on one. It would be great to have a PDA that I want to have with me on the Italy trip, but since that's in Sept., I can be patient. I *should* be patient, that is. I'm not exactly known for delaying gratification in my conspicuous consumption and a new PDA is pretty conspicuous. Looking at my camera, I'm still completely enjoying it. No new camera for a while. Phone? Same thing. (Of course, Cingular lost an opportunity to enslave me further when I recently lost a phone--I probably would have upgraded, but they didn't give me a chance...not getting any additional $$ from me for while.)
I'll probably go to Best Buy or CompUSA sometime to do a side by side compare of the LD and the TX. I haven't really tried either of them "in person", although I've been reading about them for a few days now. The LD has a built-in MP3 player, but I just found a well-reviewed one for $19. Load it and my MP3's (yes, J, I'm getting even MORE of them as I type) onto a card and I'm good on the TX.

If I'm going to eat this week, the Axim and I need to go grocery shopping. Maybe one day I'll have a new friend to accompany me.

Comments:
New pda fever is, indeed, a hard illness to break free from. I feel tomorrow I will suffer from new "whatever it is that apple is announcing" fevery. I only hope it isn't a new iPod b/c I just can't keep up!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?