Friday, August 25, 2006

 

Girl's Night Out

I do love a good girl's night out. Tonight, I got to go with a group I haven't been out with before. All really sharp, really funny ladies. We had dinner and bowled. Granted, that doesn't sound exciting. And it wasn't car chase and high drama exciting. But it WAS a lot of fun. Cracking on each other, S's cute "toyota jump" that she did when she bowled a good frame, K's dancing (swear, we're buying that girl a pole....heck, I offered her a dollar), C's granny bowling, my gutterballs, having a few beers and just enjoying being together.

I have to say, I've been looking forward to this all week. And it definitely was what I needed after an odd and rough week. Tattled on at work , busy busy busy and full of idiocy.

I've also been thinking about committment this week. No, I'm not getting committed (am I?). I may have an opportunity to get some professional certifications. Good, but they'd probably lock me into a specific area of expertise. I've always floated around to whatever looked interesting at Big Faceless Corp (BFC) and it's kept me very busy and mostly happy for 11 years. To start getting certs in my current role would be getting a niche and would help me, no doubt. But do I WANT to be doing what I'm doing as a career? I like it. But I've also liked the other things I've done. Who knows, there might still be interesting things I could yet do. Most of my cohorts have certs, which does leave me as the odd duck out. I want to have the cred that goes with a professional certification.

Heck, I'm even thinking (again) about going to law school. It would take a LONG time, but in the end might be worth it. Of course, by the time I'd get out, who knows what would happen. I've known someone who has tried to focus on BFC's needs while she was finishing law school only to have BFC not care when she became an actual lawyer. Not a good example to encourage one to put forth the time or effort. And I'm a little intimidated about law school. I was never good at studying, the now 15 years ago I was in college. I'm thinking law school would require some serious buckling down and paying attention. Much easier to do when that's ALL you're doing and there's no way I could just take off an do that now.

So do I stay in a position to float off? Or stake out a spot in my current environment? Too much to ponder on a late Friday night.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?