Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

A Good Arrangement

As a Westerner, I rarely think about arranged marriages. However, I have a friend who is from a culture where that is the norm and she's recently met her fiance. So I've been thinking....Where would EY be if her marriage had been arranged? My friend K's family arranged her marriage with her in a small state, small town in the US, her fiance in a large city in the US and family at home on the other side of the world. Would my fam in the northeast part of the state have branched out that far to find me a good man?

All relationships have their issues. Marrying the person of your choosing solely due to your mutual affinity is a recent idea in the human story. So is the idea that "if things don't work out, we can split". Abuse, infidelity, incompatibility can happen if you meet your spouse in a smoky bar or 3 months before the wedding your families have planned. But I find hope in K's situation. Her fiance was hoping for someone pretty and young. She certainly fits both criteria. He wants her to be a modern woman, is already encouraging of her desire to get an advanced degree and says she's exactly what he would have wanted. I got the story second hand, so I'm not 100% sure what she thinks of him. My basic impression from the friend who told me is that she's pleased. K keeps things pretty close to the vest, so it's unlikely that I'll know her exact thoughts. I do think it's very interesting.

I'm afraid, Dear Reader, that the tobacco worms from my last post were only the beginning. Yesterday I found one huge worm on two of my tomato plants. Ick. Ick. Ick. I can see naked stems they left from the living room or the kitchen. I'll check them today when I water. GAHHHH! No more!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?