Friday, October 06, 2006

 

I am not a wine snob

Yes, I know, it sounds like Richard Nixon's "I am not a crook" and at first sounds just as believeable. But I'm not. I don't tell people what they "should" and "should not" drink. I do share my opinions on wines I've had--when asked--but don't criticize other people's choices. I may not agree with your choices, but they're totally yours to make. Just don't expect me to beg for an invite to your place if all you serve is Mad Dog, White Zin or Merlot (no, I haven't seen "Sideways" yet, and fyi, I didn't like Merlot all that much before it became "fashionable" to dislike it).

What I discovered, at a large tasting last night, is that I may well be a "wine groupie". At Very Large Tasting (VLT), a familiar man was pouring wines I particularly like. I couldn't quite place him. Does he come to wine tastings I help with? Is he a local distributor or rep? As I walked away, I realized: he's the winemaker. I'd met him at a wine dinner a few months ago that had been part of The Boy's birthday present. Great guy, fabulous wines. Went back to tell him how much I liked his wines and how much I appreciated him being at VLT. He was very cool about it. I then said (although I shouldn't have) that I'd like to taste HIS favorite. He looked pained. I'm sure it's like asking a parent to meet their "favorite child". I ended up trying his lighter Syrah then and coming back for the REALLY powerful, wonderful one. He apologized for looking scruffy, as he doesn't shave during harvest. I was stunned. Not only had this winemaker come to our small state to pour wine at a packed event, he'd done so during the most important time for a winery. Did I mention that he's a great guy?

So I'm a groupie of his. Not the "hooking up with someone in the band after the show" kind of groupie, but the "if he's coming near and I can find some way to acceptably see him I will and I'll buy his product in between" kind. For the two of you who read this who enjoy wine, it was Mat Garretson of Garrettson wines (www.garretsonwines.com). For the two of you who read this and don't enjoy wine, this is kinda like going to a record store, buying a John Mayer CD and he's the person at the checkout counter.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?