Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 

Sigh....

When I was growing up, I loved baseball. I probably loved baseball more then than I do football now. I knew the starting lineup of the St. Louis Cardinals, most of their batting averages, stolen bases, RBI's, how many games behind/ahead the team was in their division and many other baseball stats (and this was way pre-Internet, so getting the stats wasn't as easy as it is today). Best Friend, on the other hand, hated it. There were a lot of quirks of mine (not that baseball is a quirk, mind you) that she tolerated, but not that one. Despite my efforts to convert her, she was firmly against baseball or anything baseball-related. I was a Cardinals fan and I'm surprised she even tolerated the color red.

Jump 20+ years to today. Baseball's strikes and controversies have completely turned me off. I'm bitter about it the way you are over your first broken heart (which it pretty well was). She's become a HUGE Cards fan. She goes to games, she watches it on TV, she has her guest room decorated in a Cardinal's theme, including painting the team logo on the wall above the bed. So today, I'm about to leave for work and I get a call from her. I'm expecting "how was the trip?" or an update on her always questionable health. Nope, she's calling to tell me that she's going to the Card's playoff game this weekend. And the kicker (for me anyway) is that her hub (who started all this) is staying home with her niece while she and his sister go to the game. Heck, he's all for it and giving her money to go. Apparently, I'm getting a t-shirt out of it, so I can't complain too much.

Comments:
Ain't nothing wrong with a free shirt...I always say.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?