Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

What the....?

I'm not sure who that actually was playing Auburn today, but it certainly didn't look like the Arkansas Razorbacks. Running through Auburn's defense, smart decision making, tough defense of their own. Yeah, not the team I last saw. Granted the last AR game I saw was the USC game (Utah State wasn't aired, out of the country for Vandy and Bama). I'd like to be really happy, but AR usually wins one fluke game. Interestingly, Houston Nutt has come under mounting criticism this week. Have to wonder how long this game will pacify some of the louder ones?

In other news, I'm watch shopping. It's very frustrating. The beloved Swiss Army watch died on vacay and I got a very small, black Swatch to replace it for the time being. Now I need I real watch. I've toyed with the idea of not wearing one, but not for long. I've worn a watch every day for 30 years. It's one of the most consistent things about me. I have a great affinity for watches. At one time, I actively collected them and had over 20. My fav was a watch that ran on water. You put it under the faucet every day, reset the time, and off you went. Was a bit of a pain, but quite fun.
I'm down to two candidates, neither are exactly what I want. Citizen has some lovely styles in their Eco-Drive line, but none have actual numbers. I like numbers (Arabic, not Roman) on the face of a watch. I like the idea of the Eco-Drive enough that I'm willing to overlook the number thing (although I'm not thrilled about it). Citizen's site is also mind-numbingly slow, which is a pain. The other candidate is Tag Heuer. The Boy got a Tag a few years ago at a price right in the range I'm looking at. Unfortunately, they've raised prices a bit since then, plus, their women's line is more expensive. Why? I don't know. I'm not looking at watches with diamonds. To me a watch is a watch and jewelry is jewelry. So Tags are out. I CAN pay what one would be, but I just don't want to. Although, after trying on the Tags and a Raymond Weil, the Citizen felt, well, flimsy. Tags don't have numbers, by and large, either, so it's lovely, but not perfect.
Since I shop for *nice* watches rarely, I've found lots of brands, but no idea on whether or not I should go for them. DKNY is a brand I love for clothes. If I'm every extremely rich and thin, I'll buy them all day long. But I don't know anything about the quality of their watches. Do they get them from a reputable watchmaker? Or off the back of a truck for a buck each?
I've looked a bit at Timex, but my inner snob won't have any of it. My upper range is 10 times the price of the average Timex. Seiko's ladies watches are small. VERY small. As in, I would look like I had a string around my wrist. I'm 5' 7" and even at that, about 6" too short for my weight. I need a watch with some heft. Plus, a dainty watch would last about 6 months with me and I'm looking for a watch that will be around until I retire, at least.

Any watch suggestions, Dear Readers? I'm open!

Comments:
Well, I'm at Luxottica (home of Watch Hut...or something like that... www.sgh.com) and can get you one for 20% off...send me the SKU's on the ones you are interested in and I can see if they have them in stock. you could pay me pack... Happy hunting!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?