Sunday, January 21, 2007

 

And they're off....

the ponies at Oaklawn Jockey Club, that is. I'm not much of a gambler, but I always enjoy going to the track. It's a big thing at work to get your team together for a day at the races. However, in nearly a dezen years, I've alway managed to either work with teams who flat out won't go to the races or teams where we have no outings whatsoever.

Fortunately, I have friends. Two of whom got married on Thursday. Apparently, if you looked carefully, you could have seen the signs and known it was coming. Me, I prefered to not try to divine anything from their actions until I actually heard them say "we got married." They've been together for a while and make each other sickeningly happy. My take was "if they want to be married, they will be. None of my business either way." A small group of us spent the day giving money to the track. Almost all of us had at least one race that can extremely close. Two of us didn't cash in any tickets all day. Unfortunately, yours truly was one of them. Everyone else had some small winnings here and there.

We had a good time just being together, had a great dinner and then played cutthroat spades (our favorite game) at the condo the newlyweds rented. We'd gotten a hotel room in town where I hoped a sleeping pill would save me from the 2 extreme snorers I have. Twas not the case. Even Lunesta is not enough to make me a heavy enough sleeper and the Breathe Right Strips I took only made one person worse than normal.

We had a nice breakfast today, drove around town and came home. There are a lot of interesting things to do and see in Oaklawn's town. We promised that we'd try to come up with a few Saturdays (both with kids and without) to come back and have some fun.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?