Tuesday, January 23, 2007

 

Football madness

As much as I love football, sometimes the backstories can get to be too much for even me. I'm glad Indy is going to the Super Bowl. I'm not a fan, but I'm tired of hearing how QB Manning (the Elder) "just can't win the big game". Heck, I'm tired of QB Manning (the Elder) all the way around unless he's on a commercial. I certainly don't have anything against 6' 4" 240 lb quarterbacks and his commercials are just plain funny. Getting hit in the face with a blast of steam is no joking matter and rubbing dirt in it, while a common old school sports remedy, isn't good for burns. I'm also tired of feeling sorry for Tony Dungy. Granted, it's not fun having to play Evil Genius Coach Belichick, I get that. Tony's a good coach and a good man and I'm glad he's going to Miami. I'd prefer he not be playing one of my fav teams, especially one with such an inconsistent offense, but I think it will be a good game.

College football, especially that in my small state, has turned into a bit of a soap opera. Offensive coordinator hired straight from a leading high school, hightails it out of town. Later news insists he left before he could get fired. Sounds kinda like "I was going to break up with him anyway". Two solid players--recruited with their coach from leading high school--also leaving. One to the first school that showed us up, the other to parts unknown. Now his replacement comes, from a "local" NFL team. On the heels of that news is that the NFL team he's leaving is looking at College Head Coach as a replacement for their retiring guy. Hmmmm, we give you our College Head Coach to be your NFL head coach, you give us your NFL assistant coach to be our offensive coordinator? A definite promotion for Head Coach, but I just don't see the win for the other guy.

College Head Coach will have a similar situation as his current gig: Players (and entourages) not happy with the way he coaches airing their "concerns" to the media? Check. One QB who does a good impersonation of a statue, another kinda mobile, but needs some work? Check. Megalomaniacal boss who thinks he's a coach? Check. However, college students who participate in the state's sporting religion are much different from multi-millionaire professionals and their agents that populate the NFL.

Really, I prefer the game on the field.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?