Monday, April 16, 2007

 

I just don't get

How fish isn't meat. Yes, I kinda get that it's not RED meat and thus appropriate for eating on certain days if you're a fan of the Pope. But if you're a vegetarian...someone who doesn't eat meat...especially if you don't eat animals because of "moral" reasons....??? Fish are animals. Animals totally different from mammals, lizards, birds. But in the question "animal, vegetable or mineral?", fish fall in the first category, not the second. Nobody plants a big crop of fish in the ground, waits for the fish plant to grow, then harvests a bumper crop of fish. (I'm from a farm family, so I know from farming.)

I know some vegetarians who consider fish to be a "lower form" with a less developed nervous system and function. To me, that's still a dodge. Catch a fish sometime. All that flopping when it's out of the water...that's because it's suffocating and it is responding just like you and I would--not well. Granted, I can be a bit of a reluctant omnivore myself and I know that animals treated well, not pumped full of chemicals, growth hormones, and antibiotics and eating food their bodies can actually process (contrary to popular belief, corn isn't so good for cows) is better for you than factory-made food.

IMHO, however, fish is just as much "meat" as any cow, shrimp, pig, chicken, goat, duck, goose, deer, sheep or other animal you can name.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?