Friday, April 06, 2007

 

Shopping, again

I've been at it again. Yet another Quixotic shopping quest. This time, my goal was an Easter dress. It's almost Easter, so I didn't think it would be quite such a challenge. Boy, was I wrong. A little background for anyone who hasn't seen me in anything other than jeans--all my dress clothes are black. Black pants, black jackets, one black skirt. Primary for this is that I mostly wear nicer clothes for work or a very nice out to dinner with The Boy. For either of these occasions, black is absolutely appropriate.

For Easter, however, I wanted to have some color. Some bright color even since the event is a happy one and it's spring. I've been on my quest for a few weeks and no luck. I've been casually looking through racks of clothes when I happen to be in a store. Guess what's in for Spring 2007: black and white. A nice combination if you're a personal friend of Truman Capote or going to Ascot, but not really what I'm looking for to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, plus I *have* all the black clothes I currently need.

Another disturbing trend is the number of halter dresses. If you're a size 8 or under, you're 30 and you work out, halter dresses are probably OK for you. However, at my current dress size, age and toning level, they are right out. I don't really know why manufacturers MAKE a halter, strapless or sundress in a size larger than an 8. One of the downsides of being a bigger girl is that you can't dress like you wear a size 4. Women who are a size 4 can't eat dessert. Not the fairest trade in the world, but there you go.

I dragged Friend J along on this effort Wednesday and I had just as much luck as ever. Seeing as how time was getting close, however, I stopped casually browsing. We went to 4 stores and in each, I found a clerk, told them I needed a DRESS for Easter with the following criteria 1.) can't be black or dark 2.) can't be halter-y, strapless or otherwise make me look like a whore (I am going to CHURCH in this dress and it's amazing how much halters are in style this year.) 3.) can't have tiny sleeves because I'd freeze to death (esp since the low Easter Morning is 29 F.) So I struck out at all 4. Of course, everyone suggested a skirt. Skirts, in my book, are just about as dressy as pants, which is to say, not too much and not enough for Easter. Really, I may as well just go in my jammies.

So Sunday morning, I will go to church clad in black head to toe as if I were going to a funeral or business meeting. I will look nice, I will be comfortable, I will be warm and I'll be celebratory in my heart. But I'll still wish I were in a nice dress.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?