Friday, July 27, 2007

 

Innocent....

until proven guilty. That's certainly the premise of our justice system. I know many people this week have decried Roger Goodell's decision to bar Michael Vick from Falcon's practice sessions because they believe that he's innocent until proven guilty. I don't disagree with the presumption of innocence when you're in court, but I do strongly agree with the Commish's decision.

Playing in the NFL (or any professional league) is NOT a right, it is a PRIVILEGE. It is something only the very elite have the skill to do and even those folks are not guaranteed to stay. Athletes get special treatment if they have significant talent and are willing to work hard. I would never take that ability to excel at the highest level away from anyone. But when you're on and off the playing field, you aren't out there alone. You are representing your teammates, the players who came before you, the organization you play for and your league. So anything stupid or (worse) criminal reflects on THEM.

You want to cheat and pump your body full of banned chemicals? Fine, you just cast doubt on every accomplishment of your teammates and league. You want to carry a lot of guns and be the tough guy? Now much of the viewing, PAYING public thinks your league is full of thugs. You want to go into the stands and punch a fan? Wow...I really want to go to a game where I'll be assaulted and pay $30+ to do so.

Pro sports rake in a lot of money and that money comes from sponsorships, deals on everything from shoes to soft drinks and.......fans. Fans buy game tickets. Fans buy shirts and shoes and hats with their favorite player's number. Fans buy DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket. I'd prefer to not give my money to cheats, thugs and people who will assault me. And after this week, I'm not the only one.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?