Friday, July 13, 2007

 

Pix from the past

A friend, who is doing a little office cleaning, sent me some pictures of a team lunch from 1998. Doesn't sound quite so far away, but for those of us in the pix, it is. One person has gone into a completely new field and has had a dramatic weight loss. Although I don't talk to her often, I'm very proud of her on both fronts. One guy used to have long flowing locks and was a bit, well, soft. Nope, now he's sporting a buzz cut and is nearly gaunt in appearance. One guy left Big Faceless Corp and I think all of us lost touch with him pretty quickly. The most ambitious member of our troupe is indeed, on to a high level spot with another company. I haven't seen him in a very long time, so I can only hope he's doing well.

I have reddish hair in the picture, so I can only assume that it was taken in an "I'm bored with me" phase when I tended to color my hair for fun. The pants I'm wearing are hanging on me. Now, they're hanging in the closet where they've been for quite some time. I'm holding a smoke in the picture, which also strikes me as odd. When I smoked I tried to NOT be photographed doing it. Actually, there is a long list of things I don't want to be photographed doing. Smoking is probably the least of my worries on that.

I was struck by how different we all seem (from what I know of us) now. Big Hair Guy is going to be on TV to be honored for some community service work. The other chick in the picture has moved on and while I treasure her as a friend, I don't see or hear from her often. I wonder how many of us in the picture still recognize our nearly 10 years younger selves? How much have we all changed? Are we even the same few anymore?

I can only speak for myself. I don't color my hair anymore (although I do pluck the grays), I don't smoke, my recent diet and exercise practices notwithstanding, I can't fit into those pants and won't for some time. And while I recognize the long haired near-redhead in the picture, we're not exactly the same. There are things I would tell her, serious and trivial, if I could. As it is, I can only look at her and smile.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?