Wednesday, September 19, 2007

 

My mentor....

I have a friend who is VERY expressive. One look at her and you know her mood. You say something she thinks is stupid and you get a clear picture of exactly HOW stupid she thinks your idea is. She is the eye-rolling-est, nostril-flaring-est chick I know.

She used to do a lot of eye-rolling when folks we worked with got off on rants about their fantasy football woes: Didn't get good players drafted, my best guy had a bad week, I really need a new QB, etc. She was a casual football fan, but didn't get why you'd bother with anything more than watching the game.

Fast-forward a few years.....Her guy is INTO fantasy leagues. During one season, he was in 13 leagues. This season, he's the Commish of a league I'm in. And she's in it too. She and I are definitely the newbies in the bunch and for me, it's showing. She did make two very good picks (Ben R QB for PIT; NEP Defense) that make her look "not quite so new". Last night, I'm at their house and I asked him for some advice on my roster. We discussed players I need to drop and SHE proceeds to explain how the waiver wire works for our league. He interrupts her (not an uncommon occurrence in their relationship) and she gets irritated (ditto). She demands that he let her explain the waiver wire to me.

If her year 2000 self could have heard that, she would have done a SERIOUS eye roll at herself. It was all I could do to NOT laugh in her face. I tried to call a mutual friend as I left to "share the moment", but couldn't reach her. I knew going in that it would be very easy for me to get "really into" fantasy football. I had no idea that she would get so into it...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?