Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 

You sure do have a purty mouth

Mine got x-rayed for 2.5 hours today, so I hope it IS, in fact, nice looking. You gotta love it when your DDS tells you that you're a case he'll share with his colleagues. I have TMJD and this is my latest effort in trying to get it fixed.

About a month ago, I saw a DDS in a nearby large town and one of the tests involved me opening wide, then shutting my mouth. If you have jaw issues, this will cause a "pop" sound. That time, the "pop" my jaws produced was barely perceptible to the equipment. Today, however, I made a much more pronounced sound. Apparently, the difference is enough to startle my new DDS. I almost laughed. Monday, my jaw was so sore and tight that opening my mouth took effort and was painful. I'd imagine my test results would have been worse then.

The worst part of the day (aside from writing the check at the end) was when they took the impression of my top teeth. A goo-filled tray pushed up against the roof of my mouth for the longest minute of my life. All in all, I'm not sure why that is so traumatic. The total mass was probably less than I encounter while eating a peanut butter sandwich when I'm in a hurry. I had no problem breathing, I was in no danger of any kind, yet my heart was beating faster and I had a distinct feeling of panic. The bottom impression was a breeze, save for me being rather slobbery. I warned the tech that I might get a bit jumpy and apparently, it's a common thing. Oh well.

So hopefully, I'm on the road to this getting better.....

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?