Friday, November 09, 2007

 

Beef Daube Provencal finished!

See, I told you I'd finish it. Last post, the daube was in the Crock Pot simmering away happily. (I do so love a happy daube.) After a whole day of it, it ended up looking something like this


Yes, it DOES look a lot more like soup. Not to worry, The Boy put together a roux. I didn't get a shot of him making roux because we were trying to clean while we cooked. He'd just made bread, so while he was making roux, I was cleaning up the counter. The roux helped thicken so they daube would go over these


This was after he made his lovely rosemary and garlic soda bread. He's really gotten into the quick breads lately, expanding from his wonderful cornbread. Unfortunately, he still hasn't come to understand the inconsistency that is our oven. (Don't buy GE products if you bake!)
The bread started out like


And ended up like


Nice, huh? That's NOTHING compared to the way it tastes...yumm-it-e-yum. Just the thing to go with a nice bowl of

The soft, fuzzy lighting isn't me being creative in Photoshop; I'm afraid it's old-fashioned "steam on the camera lens". I did also put some fresh thyme sprigs on the daube before we ate it, but by that time, I was hungry and since I had decent pictures, skipped taking yet another.

The wine we had was Alexander Valley. Light for a Cab, but that may be due to its age. 2004 may be a bit young yet, but this did have some fine Cab characteristics. It did well with the daube, but I haven't been home any other nights this week to finish it. A little (not too much) oxygen may let it relax a bit. It was a little tight, so it being open for a few days will either kill it or cure it. It was a nice wine, no matter what state it's in now.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?