Saturday, November 17, 2007

 

How dry I am

Arkansas, like many states in the South, has a schizophrenic relationship with alcohol. State and local governments are all too happy to tax it. The well-heeled want it and will get it no matter what, but would rather the "lower classes" not have it, hence the popularity of "country clubs". Those not rich enough for country clubs still have their options, but they're usually inconvenient.

A relatively new option is for restaurants to become "private clubs". A bane to many, a delight to others. Many folks who like to have the occasional glass of wine at dinner don't want liquor stores "in their backyard". A private club is the option for them. Others insist that a "dry" county should be that....totally dry.

Nowhere in my little dry county is the phrase "live and let live" more needed than on this issue. We who are adult enough to have a glass of wine with dinner chafe at the idea that we're automatically evil drunks for desiring this. Those on the other side are aghast that "their choice" (County was voted totally dry over 30 years ago when the population was 1/4 of current) is being taken away. They insist that we shouldn't have moved to a dry county if we wanted to be alcoholics.

When the college I attended was founded over 100 years ago, I doubt availability of booze was a factor. I chose that college based on the career I was going for and this college's experience in that area. After I had a dramatic change in plans, I stayed in town because that's where my job is. Didn't make much sense to move 20 miles away "just for booze". Booze is transportable. You can buy all that you need for a few days and store it. Heck, most booze is a preservation method of water, grain or grape.

Two new restaurants got their private club licenses and one new private club opened up this week. I'm sure comments to the local paper will revile the "demon rum" and all who are in favor if it (all us alcoholics, that is). If citizens of my county don't want to drink, I'm fine with their choice. I would never insist that they HAD to, I would never tell them they should just find another place to live. And I'd like that same tolerance. If I drink too much and get behind the wheel, yes, I should be put in jail, heavily fined and my license taken away. But I'm a careful drinker who always has a DD before I get in the car to go attend any event where alcohol will be involved. Based on what I've seen with most other people I know, I'm not unusual in this.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?