Monday, December 17, 2007

 

I just don't get it

And this weekend pretty much confirms that I probably never will. Babies that is. Visited the new nephew (Mr. EY's brother's son) in Chicago this weekend. He's 3 weeks old, irritable (or at least rarely content), squirmy and I hate to say it, not that cute. Granted, I don't normally find babies to be all that cute. I SAY I do so that I don't offend their parents, but I rarely ever think it. I think Young Henry is great, mostly because his presence and him being a him means that Mr EY's "family name" will carry on for a little while longer.

I didn't hold him, mostly because there was always someone else around who wanted to hold him more than I did. Once the grandparents showed up on Saturday, there was little chance of anyone but Mom getting him back. We had a good visit with parents and YH, I suppose. My Bro-In-Law and Sis-In-Law seemed a little ragged, but were generally in good spirits about it.

But still I wonder, why do this to yourself? Why do something that is going to destroy your sleep for a few months, prevent you from eating more than a snack at a time, shorten your shower to just barely getting damp? All for a pinky-red, squriming, grunting, tiny thing to be unhappy with you? I realize that babies are helpless creatures, that they require care, that they lack advanced communication skills, but they also seem like a lot of trouble for nothing. I've heard countless parents say "but when they give you that look...." Ummm, babies can't focus their eyes very well and I'm not sure they can distinguish faces. I don't know what look of love and you're supposed to get from an infant.

So for the 10,000th time, I don't understand why anyone would want to be a parent. I suppose that if my biological clock goes off, I'll get it. Or I might do what I do to my alarm clock every morning....ignore it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?