Saturday, December 29, 2007

 

I'm a disliker

Not a "hater"....hate is a strong word. The Boy loves brussels sprouts. Frozen, fresh, whatever. So does my Mom. I have tried numerous times in my life (some willingly, some not) to share their appreciation. I love many odd veggies and have for years (I loved canned, yes canned, spinach as a kid), so you'd think I could find it in my palate to give the humble sprout some love. Not so much. Covered with cheese--tried it, no go. Covered with a buttery sauce--tried it, no go. I've read many recipes where fresh sprouts are roasted with olive oil, garlic and other delish things and dislikers were converted in multitudes. Would this work for me? On Christmas, I tried.

Bought fresh, lovely sprouts at the not-quite-local upscale store. When I was prepping them, I noted that they really are lovely little things. A cute little cabbage. And I looooove cabbage, so what's better than a cute little one? Put them in a bowl with salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and chopped proscuitto. Heck, a rock, a block of wood or even a carpet square would be good dressed up with all that stuff. Roasted them until there were crispy bits all around. The Maillard reaction never fails. They looked really good. The smelled really good. Mom and Boy were delighted. Me, not so much. There is another bag of sprouts in the fridge, so I'll give these another try and maybe roast them longer. I so wanted to dig these. Maybe one day, I will.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?