Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

What's normal?

If you watch much American TV, you might think that every woman on the continent, AK and HI was an aging troll. "Look 10 years younger", "love the skin you're in" etc. Granted, I spend some cash on taking care of my looks too, but on the whole, there's not a lot I'd change about the way I look. Could I be in better shape from an exercise perspective? Yeah. But I do try to eat more veggies than anything else, try not to load up with processed foods and chemicals and eat reasonable portions.
At times people don't believe I'm the ripe old age of , so looking "10 years younger" just isn't appealing. My face is an instant read thermometer of what's on my mind. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. Still, I'm not sure I want to semi-permanently freeze it with an otherwise deadly toxin. Would I love to be rid of the double chin that I can't shake, even when I'm skinny to the point of bones protruding (many years ago...really....I can hardly remember back that far, but it did happen)? Yep. After Kanye West's mom's lethal but routine plastic surgery, am I rethinking that? Yep.
Is self-acceptance a sign of being old? More so than gray hair, wrinkles or eating dinner at 5 pm? Is thinking that normal for you is OK not normal? I'm sure I'll still be given to the odd "oh my goodness, I look like a hag" days. Being OK with yourself isn't a shield against the whims of vanity and advertising. On the whole, I look in the mirror and think "you know, toots, you're not half bad".

Comments:
Is it self-acceptance or resignation?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?