Thursday, January 17, 2008

 

Clone Wars

The FDA has declared cloned food "safe". I don't know that I agree. Yes, they've tested, but not for many years. Yes, I know that cloning is "the next step" for technologies such as hybridization, selective breeding, artificial insemination. I get that. But we've been doing those techniques for years; centuries in some cases. When cloning goes bad, it really goes bad. I don't know if there are any tests for a "good clone". What looks good on the outside could be quite wrong at the DNA level. And if I eat it, do I get impacted by the bad genes?

I'm just getting back into reading science fiction (thanks M.) and no cloning horror stories so far. But the thought of eating anything cloned still gives me the heebie jeebies. I'm trying to eat less processed food. More food that's local. Cloning just doesn't make sense in that kind of effort.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?