Thursday, February 14, 2008

 

Brace face

I never was one in high school. My teeth, while far from perfect, were never structurally off enough to require braces. TMJD*, however, in adulthood, has changed that. I've been treating my TMJD for a few years and in the past 6 months have seen a DDS specializing in it. I'm almost done with the frst course of treatment and found out yesterday, that orthodontics are my next course. He threw it out casually, almost as if it were a foregone conclusion that I'm dying to spend a significant amount MORE than I already have and I'm not absolutely tired of plastic and metal in my mouth. Sigh.

If I don't get braces, I will likely stay stuck where I am with my treatment and will always have a device. If I quit wearing a device altogether, I can look forward to pain, headaches and broken teeth. If I get braces, I have to somehow "find" a large wad of cash and have a year and a half of metal to look forward to with still-undiscussed results in the end. I'll be calling Dr. J to discuss, certainly.







*Many people refer to stress-induced jaw problems as "TMJ". Truth is, TMJ stands for Temporomandibular Joint and everyone has one. If you have problems, you have a TMJ Disorder.

Comments:
Braces messed up my jaw. I started having problems THE DAY I got my braces taken off at 14.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?