Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

Chili....yum

Had chili for lunch today. It was the last of a batch I made last Sunday. I make pretty good chili. I wouldn't serve it to a Texan (has tomatoes and beans, both of which I believe are no-no's), anyone who likes their chili to impair their taste buds or I guess, anyone from Cincinnati (I do use a touch of cinnamon in mine, but I'd never serve it over pasta and mine's not watery), but it's quite good for me. I like the endless variations that I can try out in chili. I also like crushing up Rye Wasa crackers in it....also very untraditional, but more fiber and heartiness than saltines.

The unending creativity is one of the things I like about cooking in general. I can make chili with ground beef, cubed beef (chunks of roast, like in the wonderful chili my Uncle George made), ground turkey*, turkey sausage (I used both of these most recently), OR as I often do, no meat at all. Veggie crumbles or just beans and veggies make a fine, hearty and slightly healthier chili. I can use Ro*Tel, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes that I tear apart over the pot, sun-dried tomatoes or any combination of the above. A little regular chili powder, some ancho, just a little chipotle, a little more cumin, tons of garlic, maybe a little cinnamon, maybe a little cocoa powder, maybe a bit of wine, maybe some beer. Chili accepts all of it.

I'll be trying yet another experiment in a few minutes. In our quest to eat better, The Boy announced that we are still eating too much meat and need to cut back. So we're having burritos this week with a filling of black beans, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed green peppers and onions, cheese and anything else I can think of to throw in. I'm going to make the filling tonight so that dinner tomorrow will be quick. If this works out well, I'll send my "recipe" to Friend S who eats even less meat than we do. Keep your fingers crossed, dear!

* I tried ground chicken in chili one time. It was horrid. Seriously. I pitched it. I shudder to think about how truly bad it was.

Comments:
The secret to Cincy chili is cinnamon AND chocolate. Don't twist your face until you have tried it in its "natural" environment - ie. Cincinnati. You WILL be trying it for a meal, so be ready. :)

Also, I fully expect you to bring some of your chocolate chip cookies. I have known you for 2+ years and have never, ever - not once - had them. I feel I'm giving you ample warning, my friend.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?