Monday, March 17, 2008

 

What I want in an Easter Dress....

(apologies if I posted this, say, last April. Apologies also to Clinton and Stacy)
1.) Spring colors. I don't want a black Easter dress. Or black and white. Or brown and white, navy and white or any other colors with black, brown or navy. It's frakking spring.
2.) Sleeves. I'm not 10. And I don't work out like I used to. These arms, they need a'covering. Besides, I live in Arkansas. It's just as likely to be 50 degrees as it is 70. If it's 70 outside, my church will be chilly inside to accommodate the extra heat from all the folks who only show up on Easter. (And Christmas too, but I never get to actually go to MY church on Christmas.)
3.) Shape. Lots o' dresses this year go straight down from the shoulders. That's cute if you weigh less than 100, but for those of us who don't, it's not flattering. I actually *have* a waist. Shouldn't be that hard to find something that highlights it.
4.) A Dress. No Skirts and..... I don't dress up often. I'm just getting comfortable wearing pants to church, but for one of the major holy days, I feel I should do a little more. I should wear a dress. Not a skirt and shirt/blouse/sweater/tank top/shrug. An honest to goodness DRESS.

So what I don't want in an Easter dress is a black/brown/navy, halter/sundress/cap sleeved, straight from the shoulders or otherwise shapeless thing. I also don't want a suit. I'm not interviewing with Jesus when he arises, I'm worshipping.

I went to two stores today and tried not a thing on. For a fan of TLC's "What Not To Wear", you'd think I'd know better. However, it can be hard to make C&S's rules fit into the above. If a dress is black and white, no matter how well it fits, that doesn't say "Easter" to me and while it might be perfect for another occasion, I'm not buying it for this Sunday. I am not wearing a halter or sundress to church. Period. Even if my arms looked like they did circa 1999, I'm not going to pick anyone (or anything) up, I'm there to, uh, be worshipful and I tend to freeze solid in such things. I get cold easy. (I'm not saying if you make the choice to wear a halter/sundress to church that you look like a ho. It's just not the choice for me.) There are certain shapes/designs that I know I don't look good in. I don't need to try them on to get that reconfirmed.

Shopping for clothes has never been fun for me. I can think of about a 4 year span (out of the 30+ I've been alive) when it was. But that is over. So I know that a high waisted dress will look like a maternity outfit on me. No one wants to see that....least of all ME. I know that a sundress is not the wise fashion choice for my current height/weight ratio. Why put it on and feel bad, when I can walk by it and say "no thanks"? Then there's the color issue. Why be distracted by something that may fit when I know the color is all wrong? I have plenty of black to wear. I don't need to spend any money to wear black on Easter.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?