Saturday, May 24, 2008

 

Damgoode pizza; damn bad experiences

In the larger near city, there is a pizza place (two places actually) called "Damgoode Pies". On the assertion about their food, I could not agree more. However, the actual experience of eating there is inconsistent and noteworthy in a bad way. I leave wondering why Mr. EY generally wants to go there as he's the one who gets more bent about the service. I'm a little more tolerant, but then I have to deal with his irritation after a visit; they don't.

Last night was no exception. Crowded parking lot, unbusy restaurant. Do their employees drive multiple cars to work? When we sit down, I notice an odd sour smell in the place. No one heard of fresh towels? Unsettling. A Pizza Joint should smell like, well, pizza. Changed their menu, which is always clever and second to the food as part of the visit. Not one word on the table or the menu on their beer selection. I know they serve more than PBR and Miller Lite. I'd like to order a nicer beer. One that, oh, might raise my bill (an important thing I'd think to a restauranteur since booze is a high profit item) and make me a happier customer. Far away on a wall, there are scrawlings in chalk that may or may not have anything to do with their beer selection. The print that is large enough to read is someone's "philosophy". The small scrawlings are probably beers, but I'm not getting up to check. I get their casual vibe here, but I am paying (allegedly) for service, so I'm not up to hunting my own beer. I guess I should have gone to the liquor store next door.

I get the Miller Lite. My favorite watery beer. They put down a Blue Moon coaster when it's served. I'd have liked a Blue Moon, but until my watery beer was served, I had no idea they carried it. We order our pizza. Pepperoni for Mr. EY's preference along with other stuff that I found interesting. We chat, the restaurant slowly gets a tad busier. Pizza arrives. No pepperoni. I think "maybe our server didn't understand me; I AM much harder to understand with the braces and the rubber bands". No big deal. Pizza is good. Sauce is good, toppings are good, crust is good. There is some left over that I'll probably have for lunch later.

So we're done. Would be nice to have a box and a check. Fifteen minutes pass. I get that our server is now dealing with a large group who have broken up into "adult's table" and "kid's table" and that managing that is a hassle. But in between going to get their drinks individually, she could have stopped by. She never looked in our direction. She could have sent someone over to check on us. She didn't. Mr. EY had to get up and find someone. Apparently, when a large group comes in, all hands disappear from deck so as to avoid getting sucked in to help in any way. We get our check and a box. We get billed for the nonexistent pepperoni. I consider asking for a correction, but we're already 25 minutes past finishing and ready to go.

I let the pepperoni pass, but on the charge slip for the merchant, I write "you had a tip until you ignored us". I'm sure I'll be written off as a crank, but there was no way I was leaving anything. If we lived near, I'd enjoy their food to go or delivery, but since we're 45 min away, that's not likely.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?