Monday, June 02, 2008

 

Goodbye Girls, part 2

Many people don't get why women all over the US (and indeed, the world) love Sex and the City. After all, how does a married semi-rural girl relate to 4 single (for the most part) New York women? It's quite easy: friendship. What I (and I think I can speak for lots of chicks 'round the world) want that they have is each other. We want to know that that kind of relationship exists.

I'm not a huge fan of impossibly high heels. I have no desire to have a nooner with the Express Delivery guy in my office. I don't want to do the gardener because my spouse can't get enough wind in his sails. I don't want to be partner in a law firm. But what I would like are three friends, nay soulmates even, to share my exploits with. Is Carrie flighty as all get out? Does she dress like a crack whore? Uh, yeah. But her friends love her as she is. Does Samantha "put herself out there" in ways that make the other girls uncomfortable? Sometimes. But each has learned a little something from her openness. Is Charlotte as naive as they come? Yeah a lot of the time she is. But her optimism about love can be so hopeful and fresh. You just want to close your eyes and jump in like she would. Is Miranda cynical and jaded? Yes. In many ways, she's the most difficult character for me. She's Charlotte's foil, who would tell her all about the risks of just jumping in. Aren't we all afraid sometimes?

There is an episode in Season 4 where the girls decide that they are each other's soulmates (The Agony and the 'Ex'-tacy"). Whatever relationships they may have with men, they will always be there for each other. I have several very good girlfriends, yet I've only ever had that "soulmate thing" once. And then it was gone. To have had that one was great. To know that I had three, who had seen me through bad dates, disastrous hairstyles and worse outfits for nearly 20 years.....? I can't hardly fathom it. Yet the idea is so appealing. How wonderful it would be to have that. And that, is the secret to SATC. Not the clothes, not the shoes, not the men.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?