Saturday, June 14, 2008

 

Google thoughts

I like Google. I wouldn't say it's my favorite spot on the net, but it's quite helpful. I like Google reader, it helps me keep track of some really cool food blogs. I'm way too forgetful on my own to check Tony Bourdain for the odd times he posts, Harold McGee's maybe monthly ideas, Michael Ruhlman's wonderful thoughts on the basics of food and cooking. I think they're making a mistake about not putting a link to their privacy policy on their front page, especially since California law pretty much says you have to. Seven letters is not "clutter", but the brou-haha has been fun to watch for a legal wannabe like me.

I like the random times that Google changes their logo to reflect something they think is interesting. I've never given much thought to which holidays they choose, but after reading an article on Slate today, apparently, it's a big deal for some people. I had no idea that Google hadn't "celebrated" Memorial Day. Unless sleeping late and goofing around the house all day is "celebrating", I didn't either. In fact, it's safe to say that I didn't celebrate Groundhog Day, Armed Forces Day, Flag Day and won't do much to celebrate Labor Day or Columbus Day either. It's my choice to spend my non-working days however I like. Seeing as how Google is a private enterprise, I think it's fairly well their choice to celebrate the holidays they choose. If you don't like it, don't use their search engine, don't buy their stock. Pretty simple.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?