Tuesday, July 22, 2008

 

Games people play

Anywhere there is a system, people are going to want to game it. I suppose it's human nature of some to be unsatisfied that someone might be getting a break (deserved or not) that they're not getting. I don't pretend that I'm more noble than the average meatpuppet, but I've always felt uncomfortable taking advantage in situations like that.

Today, I ran across two. One is at attempt by a co-worker to get slotted into a job role she neither wants or is qualified for because it will help her stay in the area. I can understand that. She's comfortable here, she's built a life here and may not have the same opportunities elsewhere. Is she smart enough to convince someone that she's qualified for the new role? Likely, as she's quite bright. Does she in any way want to stop what she's doing now? My sources say "no".

In another instance, a group of folks at work want their jobs to be reclassified. Accuracy, they say is what they're going for, and have invited my co-workers and I go "join in". The new classfication doesn't fit. Not even close. However, it does have a higher pay scale, a fact I'm sure isn't lost on these people. Could we make a legit argument to join them? Oddly enough, if anyone fits the new category, it's most of my peeps (I do not fit neatly into the new category.). I flat out told my immediate supervisor that I'm not comfortable gaming the system for more money, although my enlightened self-interest says I'm probably stupid for doing so. If I'm doing enough good work to warrant more money, it would be nice if someone would throw me a few bucks. But to lie and pretend I have skills that I do not posssess, just isn't something I can be comfortable doing.

I'm sure the change will go through and it will facilitate the other folks getting more money. I'm sure there are things I do on a daily basis that they couldn't live with. But I've seen far more instances of questionable behaviour from them than from my closer co-workers. So while I'll admit to not being perfect, I'm also not surprised at the willingness of the other group to misrepresent themselves. I've long felt that these people were way overdue for a karma correction. I'll probably not see it if it happens, but I'm happier not joining in a lie.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?