Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

According to....

The little square on my Minnie Mouse watch, it's still August. Barely still August, but August nonetheless. So when the phone rang and it was my Mom, I was uneasy. Somehow, I knew this would not be a pleasant call. Don't know exactly how I knew, it was, as Inspector Finch says in "V for Vendetta", just a feeling. And I was right. Mom wanted to talk about Christmas. In August.

When will we have Christmas with Dad's side of the family? If we have it at the cousin who hasn't had it yet's house, then technically, The Boy and I could "magically" do Christmas with his family too (his family lives near my cousin) and golly gee, we'd be "open" for Christmas and could go see Mom and Dad. Sigh. We do this every year. The time we spend with them is never enough, we might spend 30 minutes longer with someone else, their visit is always so compressed, we're always in such a rush to get out. Oddly enough, we see them once a month, maybe once every two months the rest of the year. The only time we don't talk weekly is when they're traveling. As counterintuitive as this seems, getting hounded about Christmas plans in August doesn't make me want to drop everything and shove everyone else aside to make Mom happy. I'm a contrarian, you see.

And thus the Great Christmas Debate of 2008 starts....only 116 days to go!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?