Friday, August 29, 2008

 

blog to blog, part II

As interesting as the Omnivore's list was, someone from Slashfood came up with an All-American list. In the interest of fairness.....I'll post it too.

Totals: 34 No items, 51 Yes and 15 "I haven't, but would". Not bad.

  1. New York pizza--Yep, this April
  2. Hoppin' Joh--Don't think so, but I would.
  3. New Mexico green chile--probably
  4. Homemade buttermilk biscuits--YES, I do love a good biscuit
  5. Tasso--don't think I've had this
  6. Whole Maine lobster--Yep, although I don't like for dinner to look at me.
  7. Calabash-style shrimp and hushpuppies--Not sure what "calabash-style" is, but I've eaten my fair share of hushpuppies
  8. Kansas City barbecue ribs--nope, but I would
  9. Hot glazed Krispy Kreme--I will ONLY eat them if the HOT light is on.
  10. San Diego fish taco--don't eat fish, so a fish taco is out
  11. Cheese curds--yep
  12. Key lime pie--yep
  13. Philly cheese steak--no, but I'm intrigued by them (a REAL Philly steak "wit", that is)
  14. Memphis pork barbecue sandwich--Absolutely....yum!
  15. Lowcountry boil--No
  16. Huckleberry pie--No and I'm not sure I'd be interested. Raw huckleberries, sure, but I don't like cooked fruit.
  17. New England clam chowder--yep
  18. Boiled peanuts--yes, although I'm not a huge fan
  19. Buffalo burger--yes. have ground buffalo in the freezer as I type
  20. Eggs Benedict--nope, egg yolks
  21. Pastrami on rye--yep
  22. Corned beef and cabbage--I think so
  23. Pancakes with maple syrup--yes
  24. Everything bagel with cream cheese and tomato--I've had an everything bagel with cream cheese, don't recall if I had tomato too
  25. Thin Mints (preferably frozen)--the only kind of GS cookie I order every year, no matter what. and they hide easy in the freezer.
  26. Frito pie--I wish I could say I'd never been introduced to these delish things. Occasionally, I will make veggie chili and get 2% cheese so I can have one without fearing a coronary.
  27. Potato knish with mustard--no, but they sound really good...I have a weakness for any kind of dumpling-y thing.
  28. Silver Queen corn on the cob--I've eaten tons of corn on the cob in my life (not lately, of course), but I don't know that I've had this variety
  29. Soft pretzel from a street cart--yep
  30. Fresh-picked blueberries--yep and I was the person who picked them
  31. Sourwood honey--don't like honey
  32. State fair funnel cake--of course...and I've helped make funnel cakes
  33. Chesapeake crab cakes--I love crab cakes in general, but I'm not sure I've had authentic "Chesapeake" cakes...I certainly would if I had the chance
  34. Candied yams--for me, vegetables and sugar are NOT a good combination. I typically sneak a piece of unsugared yam out of the bowl when Mom makes these
  35. Oyster dressing--don't eat oysters
  36. Snow cone or snowball--From my favorite "frozen sugar water stand" just by Burns Park.
  37. Wild Alaskan salmon--I don't think so. I've had smoked salmon a few times, but I don't know its origin.
  38. Sautéed morels--yes.....and I pine for them
  39. Persimmon pudding--nope and not inclined to
  40. General Tso's Chicken--not a huge fan of chicken, especially not at home. Chicken fat or connective tissue freaks me out, so any chicken I eat has to be VERY well-trimmed. I don't trust that the average restaurant will do that.
  41. Frozen custard--yep, although our local Shakey's is now a Shakee's and they did something weird to their recipe. Can't eat it now. (Technically, most of what is sold as "ice cream" is actually "frozen custard" because one drop of egg is the difference between the two. If I'm making ice cream at home, it's ice cream and NOT custard. Dealing with warm dairy and eggs is too much of a PITA to me.)
  42. Italian sausage with peppers and onions on a hoagie bun--yep
  43. Chili dog--oh my yes
  44. Buffalo wings with blue cheese--see chicken phobia above. Bony pieces have all kinds of unsavory bits.
  45. Spam musubi--if I ever make it to Hawaii, maybe
  46. Saltwater taffy--yep
  47. Fluffernutter sandwich on Wonder Bread--don't eat marshmallow or Wonder bread, so no
  48. Black and white cookie--I think I have, but I don't get what is supposed to be so incredible about them
  49. Frybread--no, but it looks VERY interesting
  50. BLT with thick-cut applewood bacon--a BT perhaps, but no L
  51. Baked beans--yep
  52. Pumpkin pie--no
  53. Collards with vinegar and Tabasco--yep
  54. Tex-Mex fajitas with skirt steak and sautéed peppers--yes, I've participated in the fajita craze. I do find it a bit more work than I generally want to do when I'm eating in a restaurant. My fav "good thing" to eat at a local Mexican place is beef fajitas, extra peppers, no tortillas, no sour cream, no cheese. I just eat the meat, veg and guac (their guac is REALLY good).
  55. Fried green tomatoes--yes, they don't do much for me
  56. Succotash--no, but I'd probably like it
  57. Shrimp and grits--Oh my yes. I had this one year at Acadia (birthday dinner) and a friend re-created it a few nights later....I was one.happy.girl.
  58. Hot water cornbread--yep
  59. Barbecue chicken pizza with red onions--nope
  60. Chicken fried steak--I do love a good CFS. I'll eat the ones at KFC if I get desperate enough
  61. Carnitas burrito--yep
  62. Apple butter--no (cooked fruit thing)
  63. Geoduck--not by itself...I may have had in clam chowder or fried clam strips
  64. Soft-serve ice cream cone dipped in chocolate shell (especially Dairy Queen)--Oh yes (but not lately)
  65. Pecan pie--I've never been one for really sweet desserts and I'm not a fan of nuts in things (I do like them alone, but since the braces, not so much). However, pecan pie is a breeze to make and apparently, I do make a good one.
  66. Catfish supper at a church or fire station--how about a fish fry at a farm shop? Not that I eat the fish...I usually just have fries and hushpuppies
  67. Oysters Rockefeller--nope
  68. Homemade cranberry sauce--I'm not a big cranberry fan, although I will make a cranberry relish for Mom and The Boy
  69. Pimiento cheese--I didn't think I liked this until I had some a friend made, not bought. If all pimento cheese was like D's, I'd love it.
  70. MoonPie washed down with R.C. Cola--I realize this is heresy coming from someone born in the South, but Moon Pies have never remotely sounded good. RC is OK, I guess.
  71. Pickled watermelon rind--nope, just can't do it
  72. Cracker Jacks at the ball game--yes
  73. Smithfield ham--I think so
  74. Meatloaf and mashed potato blue plate special at diner--absolutely...I love meatloaf and mashed potatoes
  75. Chicken and waffles--no and I don't get why this would be an interesting combo
  76. Po'Boy--yep
  77. Green bean casserole with French's fried onions--nope, don't eat green beans
  78. Stuffed sopaipillas--had them, not stuffed
  79. Turducken--I find the concept interesting, but I'm not a big fan of any ingredient other than the stuffing
  80. Shad roe on toast--no
  81. Sweet potato casserole with or without marshmallows--prefer my sweet potatoes roasted
  82. Cioppino--no
  83. New York cheesecake--yep, delish
  84. Pan-fried river trout--no
  85. Jambalaya--yes
  86. North Carolina pig pickin'--haven't participated in this exactly, but I have been to a BBQ where we cooked an entire pig (and yes, it cooked over smoke and a low fire all day so it was in fact a BBQ, not a cookout)
  87. California rolls--my favorite kind of sushi
  88. Burgoo--I made a version of it, not terribly authentic. It was good. I'd be interested in trying authentic as long as it's not so authentic that there's game in it.
  89. Penuche fudge--nope and it doesn't sound that interesting
  90. Fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (the Elvis)--nope, don't do bananas
  91. Scrapple or livermush--no, although I have had goetta which is pretty good
  92. Elk medallions in red wine reduction--I was tricked into eating elk chili once....that's as close as I intend to get
  93. Muscadine grapes--I have muscadines growing in my yard
  94. Cheeseburger at backyard barbecue--at a backyard COOKOUT?!?!?! yes
  95. Open-face turkey sandwich--nope, not a turkey fan
  96. Chicago deep dish pizza--I think so
  97. Cobb salad--yep
  98. Peach pie a la mode--I'll eat peaches a la mode, but not pie
  99. Macaroni and cheese with Tillamook sharp cheddar --no, but I grew up on Kraft mac and cheese!
  100. Root beer float--root beer.....bleah, no

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?