Thursday, August 28, 2008

 

blog to blog

I don't normally do the "I'm posting something on my blog and I invite everyone else to join in" thing, but this one from Very Good Taste (that I got via slashfood) was pretty fun. I'm known to be a picky eater, but I only had 24 no's had 41 yes's and 35 would's. I think that's not bad, but obviously I have work to do!


Here’s what I did:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison: Not intentionally, anyway. I almost want to cross this out because I think deer are more valuable as wildlife than food. The Boy would say it violates my "don't eat anything cute" rule. Which I don't actually have.
2. Nettle tea: I can't imagine why I wouldn't have this. I drink every kind of tea made.

3.
Huevos Rancheros: Never had it. Can't figure out how to turn the underline off, dammit.
4.
Steak tartare: Goodness yes I'd eat this, but I haven't. (please ignore the underline)
5. Crocodile: No, because I'm quite sure it tastes chicken and while I will eat chicken if I HAVE to, I do NOT like it.
6. Black pudding
: Haven't, but I probably would.
7. Cheese fondue: HAVE eaten....in Lucern Switzerland.
8. Carp: Not a big fish person, so I'm putting this down as a "no".

9.
Borscht: A year ago, I'd have said "hell no", but I've fallen in love with beets. So yes I would try this, although I haven't.
10.
Baba ghanoush: No, because there's eggplant in it.
11.
Calamari: I have eaten calamari several times, but I don't really like it.
12.
Pho: Yes, I've tried it and it's magical
13.
PB&J sandwich: If it weren't for these, I'd never have made it past the age of 5.
14.
Aloo gobi: It's vegetarian Indian food. I haven't, but I would in a second.
15. Hot dog from a street cart: Yep, in Central Park, no less

16.
Epoisses: An unpasteurized milk cheese. Haven't, but I would.
17. Black truffle: I've had (and still have) black truffle oil. If the real thing is anything like the oil, then my answer is yes Yes YES.

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
: Mt. Bethel at Altus makes really good blackberry, blueberry and elderberry. I have some in my pantry right now. Have and would again.
19. Steamed pork buns:
I've eaten steamed pork buns, but I don't like them (as much as I try, I just can't get past the steamed bread)
20. Pistachio ice cream: I believe I have and I certainly would again
21. Heirloom tomatoes: Have some on my counter right now. They are incredible, especially the yellow ones
22. Fresh wild berries: Absolutely. I picked dewberries as a child and now I pick wild blackberries on our land
23.
Foie gras: I didn't think I would like this, but I tried it at a friend's suggestion. It's fine. I don't die over it.
24. Rice and beans: Absolutely. Have and would again
25.
Brawn, or head cheese: I'd like to be adventurous and say "I'd try it", but I know I wouldn't.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper: Nope, I'm a weenie when it comes to hot food.

27.
Dulce de leche : I think I have a jar in the pantry
28. Oysters: My dad loves oysters, so I tried them one day. He didn't tell me not to chew. It was AWFUL and I've never tried them again.

29.
Baklava: I've had it, but I don't really like it.
30.
Bagna cauda: I'm there. I would, but I haven't.
31. Wasabi peas: LOVE me some wasabi peas.

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl: I've had clam chowder, but I can't guarantee that I had it in the right bowl.

33. Salted
lassi: I probably would, but I haven't
34.
Sauerkraut: I have to have it on a ruben and at the sausage and spaghetti dinner at Center Ridge
35. Root beer float
: I hate Hate HATE root beer, so no.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
: this....I'd do.
37. Clotted
cream tea: Done it, would again
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O: vodka jello shooters
. Ahhh, back in the day, Ty and I got plumb silly on these. The Boy was Not Amused.
39.
Gumbo: Yep and I would again
40. Oxtail: No, but I would

41. Curried goat: Absolutely not

42. Whole insects: Absolutely not

43.
Phaal (really hot curry): This is hard. I haven't, but since I love Indian, I probably would, even if I knew it would kill me.
44. Goat’s milk: I could drink goat's milk, but not eat goat
.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more: I haven't. I probaby would as long as I didn't hav
e to buy the bottle. I'd hope I was sharing with Leisa or Mark. They'd appreciate it.
46.
Fugu: I haven't, but if I ever got the chance to do it right, I think I'd have to.
47.
Chicken tikka masala: It's chicken. I'm sure it would be safe, but there are Indian dishes I'd rather have.
48. Eel: I've tried it, I do not like it

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
: Oh yeah
50. Sea urchin: I don't think I have tried this, but I think I would.

51.
Prickly pear:I don't think I have tried this, but I think I would
52.
Umeboshi : Nope, I like fruit plain and raw
53.
Abalone: I would try this in a second
54.
Paneer: I typically pick it out of my sag paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal: I've never had a Big Mac. Two all beef patties I can live with, but it's the "special sauce, lettuce, pickles" that get me. And the extra bun. Please, I'm watching my unecessary carbs....

56.
Spaetzle: Here's where I'd prefer to use them. I've never had spaetzle, but I'm fascinated by them.
57. Dirty gin
martini : I've had a sip of The Boy's. It's OK. I really prefer just the olives.
58. Beer above 8% ABV: I'm 99% sure I've had something that fits this

59.
Poutine : french fries topped with fresh cheese curds covered in gravy. Yeah, I'd try it.
60.
Carob chips: NO NO NO! Carob is EVIL. It looks like chocolate and tastes TERRIBLE. Unless you're a dog (real chocolate can kill them) , stay away!
61.
S’mores : Nope, don't like marshmallows
62.
Sweetbreads: I feel that I *should* like them, but I never really want to try them
63.
Kaolin : clay or dirt Nope
64.
Currywurst: I haven't, but I would
65.
Durian: I haven't, but I would just so I could say I had
66. Frogs’ legs: absolutely not

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake: I've eaten beignets, never had churros, had elephant ears and I used to help my Aunt Ev MAKE funnel cakes. Yes, Aunt Ev would make me funnel cakes. That's love, folks
68.
Haggis : I haven't but I probably would
69. Fried
plantain: Not a huge plantain fan as a rule, but I'd probably try it. (still, terribly sorry about all the underlining)
70.
Chitterlings, or andouillette: Haven't...not sure I would
71.
Gazpacho : LOVE gazpacho
72. Caviar and
blini : I've had it, but I never want to again. I still remember the horrible fishy taste I couldn't hardly get out of my mouth
73. Louche
absinthe : Haven't, but I would
74.
Gjetost, or brunost: YES! A friend got me some gjetost for my birthday last year. It's a caramel-y kind of cheese and is quite delightful
75. Roadkill: hell no

76.
Baijiu: A Chinese liquor. I was ready to say "yeah, I'd try it" until I read that some compare the taste to diesel. I'm trying to cut back on my diesely-tasting foods. I find them to be nutritionally poor and high in calories. Who needs that? I'll save my calories for Poutine
77. Hostess Fruit Pie: I've never had one of these. I don't like fruit pies in general (don't like cooked fruit) and these have never tempted me.

78. Snail: Snails, on the other hand, are VERY yummy.
79.
Lapsang souchong : This is a variety of tea, so I'm fairly sure I've had it.
80.
Bellini : Oh yeah....I'd like one now
81.
Tom yum: haven't, but I would in a second
82.
Eggs Benedict: Nope, I don't like egg yolks. If I could get poached egg whites in an eggs benedict, I'd be all about it.
83.
Pocky: A cookie coated with chocolate? Sure I'd try that
84. Tasting menu at a three-
Michelin-star restaurant.: haven't, but I would
85. Kobe beef: I've had the variety used for Kobe (Wagyu) that was raised in Australia. That count?
86. Hare: Nope, too close to rabbit

87.
Goulash: I haven't just had goulash, I've MADE it....tasty stuff. When it cools off, I'll make it again!
88.
Flowers : Yes, I've eaten flowers on salads
89. Horse: No, but I've seen a store in Italy that specializes in Carne Equina

90. Criollo chocolate: oddly enough, I haven't had this, that I'm aware of, but I would....oh my would I ever!

91. Spam: sad to say, I've had Spam. I'm not proud of it.

92.
Soft shell crab: I love crab, but there's something about eating it shell and ALL that I just can't deal with.
93. Rose
harissa : haven't, but I would
94. Catfish: I'm sure I've eaten it, but I can't recall it. Not a big fish person

95.
Mole poblano: i've made a VERY simple mole and it was really good. I'd love to try a REAL mole poblano.
96. Bagel and
lox : Real bagels and REAL lox....Oh my yes
97. Lobster Thermidor: had it, loved it
98.
Polenta : I really like polenta
99.
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee : I've had what claimed to be a "Jamaican Blue Mountain blend". I'm sure they added one JBM ground to the package. But if I ever get a chance to have the real stuff, I certainly will.
100. Snake. Uh, no. See crocodile

Not on their list, but Vegemite. It sounds interesting. My current boss has a small jar on a bookshelf that was probably a present from someone who'd visited the AU office. If I make it to the Land Down Under, I'll try it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?