Sunday, December 14, 2008

 

Creature of habit

For most of my 30+ years, I've loved mail in all forms. Electronic or postal, I am always optimistic that something good will come my way. As a child, I loved getting and going through the mail. It was rare that I got anything at all, but when I did, it was better than a new toy and almost better than a new book. Even as more of my mail ended up being bills, I still have some excitement about the magic of the big green box.

When email came to little old EY, I was equally fascinated. Whether mundane, silly or frustrating, I like my email. Didn't hurt matters that a product I used to work on would ONLY tell you if things were well or ill by email. You could be in the computer room, sitting, looking at the screen and if something blew up, you'd have no idea. To keep your finger on the pulse, you had to watch your inbox. I've also developed the habit of responding quickly to email. So much so, that a co-worker once quipped that I respond to his emails before he sends them.

With Friday being my last day at Big Faceless Corp, my email account was, of course, turned off. Saturday was a fairly busy day, but I did spend some time on the computer. The urge to check my email was just as strong as it had been the previous Saturday. Today, I haven't been home much, but still, there is a lingering feeling that I "need" to check on things. That makes no sense whatsoever, but it's such an ingrained habit that I'm having a hard time shaking it.

I suppose about the time I calm down about email, my new gig will start and my attachment to email will start all over again.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?