Sunday, December 07, 2008

 

Wrong again, BCS

I'm a fair to middling college football fan. I rarely worry too much about the BCS. Unfortunately, the prime reason for that is because the team I like (home state team) will never be in a BCS bowl. This year, however, I've watched a lot more college football than normal. Watched teams I don't even care about; rooted for in-conference rivals of my team. Heck, we didn't have a chance against them--may as well root for them when they're playing someone when the overall game will be good.

Because I've watched a little more football, I was interested in the national championship picks than in previous years. I didn't get to watch any of the SEC Championship, but I would have liked to. Maybe if I had, I'd see why Florida would get picked to be in the really big game instead of Alabama. I'm no Nick Saban fan, but I gotta say, I think they got robbed. Florida never held a BCS or AP position higher than #3 all season and for a few weeks, didn't make the top 5 or top 10. Alabama killed everyone they played; never got below #5; was #1 for 5 weeks in a row. Sure they lost to Florida. Texas lost to OU. In fact, everyone in the top 5 has one loss. Anyone want to suggest that 12-0 Utah should be playing for #1? How about Boise State? No takers? Anyone? Didn't think so.

If I were picking the games and I had to stay with the BCS idiocy, it would be OU and AL for the top spot with Texas and Florida battling for #2. Both games would happen NEW YEARS DAY. Not halfway through January like they do now. January is NFL playoff season, not "let's drag on the college game" season.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?