Sunday, January 11, 2009

 

The morning boil

Years ago, in college, someone in my dorm complained in a meeting about "people who boil themselves awake". As she said this, she shot an evil look to me. I gave her a blank look in return. Hey, there were 2 other showers on our side of the floor. And it's not like you'd have to get up THAT early back then to beat me to the bathroom.

So nearly 20 years later and I can tell Ms. Margo that I'm still at it, but I might have found just the thing to change my water-wasting ways. I've noticed that the shower is my biggest chunk of time spent getting ready in the morning. Longer, even, than drying my hair. My current hairstyle requires careful drying in sections with different brushes and not the flip-my-head-over-and-hope-for-the-best that has been my MO for quite some time. And I still spend more time in the shower. Washing my hair doesn't really take THAT long. Neither does shaving my legs. No, I know what the culprit is: I like to just stand under the flow of very hot water and warm up while I come alive. In Margo's parlance (which I find to be quite accurate) "boiling myself awake". I need all the time I can in the morning and the boiling is going to have to be cut down. I'm drinking more coffee on the way to work, so I hope that will compensate.

On Saturdays, though....there will be a boil order in effect.

Comments:
You could turn down the water heater. Then you'd be forced to get out when you run out of hot water. :)
 
Nah, I live in fear of running out of two things: hot water and toilet paper. I'm not going to purposefully inflict on of those on myself!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?