Saturday, January 15, 2011

 

Words words everywhere

I love to read. Shocking, I know, to the two of you still out there. Was browsing through my fav online 'zine and found a listing of local blogs. A couple I knew about already and am already following. One I knew about and purposefully wasn't following as the writer is a somewhat public figure whose politics and mine have never really jived. On the blog, though, he writes about a few other things we DO have in common. What drew me in (of course) is food, but an article about Arkansas football and visits to New Orleans, pre and post Katrina hooked me. And made me cry. I could spend all day and probably not get caught up on his blog. But I don't have all day.

In my profession too, there are amazing and rocket-scientist-intelligent people who think about what we do nearly 24X7. A great many of them have fascinating blogs that I'm glad when I stumble across, yet don't have the time to devote to a full reading. I follow one of them, but rarely read. His work is the kind that makes your head explode, but even when I don't understand what I'm reading, his style is so approachable that I do anyway. Every once in a while, I'll scan through a posting just to see what's on his mind. It's always great stuff.

Then there are books. I've way outgrown the two bookshelves I have. The books piled and tossed around lend to the "amateur hoarder" motif of my office. Of course, this isn't "all". I have cookbooks in the kitchen, books in the living room, books on my dresser, books on my nightstand, books (special ones, at that) under my bed. I want more. There's always a book I want. An exceptionally well-read friend sent me a list I've barely touched. If I asked for that list again, I'm sure it would be twice what it was as his reading and movie watching has continued at a good pace and mine has not.

Maybe reading later. Workout, chores, football for today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?